Is Austria a safe country to visit? Yes, Austria is considered one of the safest countries in the world, with low crime rates and a welcoming atmosphere for tourists.
Welcome to the breathtaking land of Austria, where every corner tells a story of history, culture, and natural splendor. From the majestic peaks of the Alps to the charming streets of Vienna, Austria offers a diverse array of experiences for travelers.
Austria, located in the heart of Europe, is renowned for its picturesque landscapes, imperial history, and musical heritage. Whether you’re drawn to the snow-capped mountains or the elegant architecture of its cities, Austria promises unforgettable adventures for all.
In this guide, we’ll delve into the best places to visit in Austria, ensuring you make the most of your journey through this enchanting country.
- Continent: Europe
- Country: Austria
- Capital Of Austria: Vienna
- Population Of Austria: 89.6 lakhs (2021)
- Currency Of Austria: Euro
- National Animal: Eagle
- Chancellor of Austria: Karl Nehammer
- Dialing code: +43
- Official language: German
- ⏳ When is the best time to visit Austria?
- 📝 List of 10 Best Places To Visit In Austria
- 1: Vienna – Walk Through The Past Glory
- 2: Salzburg – A Date With Mozart
- 3: Innsbruck – The Picture-Postcard City
- 4: Salzkammergut – Relax And Rejuvenate
- 5: Graz – Involve In Food, History and Culture
- 6: Worthersee – A Summer To Remember
- 7: Bad Gastein – A Soothing Treat For Body And Soul
- 8: Bregenz-Tranquil Days By The Lake
- 9: Wachau-Best Wines And A Dose Of History
- 10: Zell Am See – Pristine Alpine Wonders
- 🏩 List 11 Best Hotels With Pools in Austria
- 🙋🏻♀️ FAQs About Places To Visit In Austria
- 😇 Conclusion
- 🗨️ Tell Us One Of Your Favourite Place In The Above List Of The Best Places To Visit In Austria.
⏳ When is the best time to visit Austria?
The best time to visit Austria depends on your interests. Summer (June to August) is ideal for outdoor activities and festivals, while winter (December to February) offers excellent skiing opportunities in the Alps.
📝 List of 10 Best Places To Visit In Austria
For an unforgettable experience on your next trip, be sure to include some of these must-visit places in Austria in your itinerary. Don’t worry, there are plenty of hotels and transportation options near all these lovely tourist spots to make your holiday enjoyable!
1: Vienna – Walk Through The Past Glory
Vienna, known for its grand palaces, museums, opera, and Beethoven’s home, ranks among the top cities in Austria for its rich culture and grandeur.
A stroll along Vienna’s famous Ringstrasse Road, flanked by majestic buildings like the Imperial Palace of Hofburg and numerous picturesque parks, offers a delightful immersion into the city’s enchanting ambiance.
Vienna, the largest city in Austria, is renowned for its vibrant cafe culture. Relax with a cup of Viennese coffee in one of the city’s charming cafes for a truly enjoyable evening.
For art and architecture enthusiasts, must-visit attractions include the opulent Schönbrunn and Belvedere Palaces, along with the intricate St. Stephen’s Cathedral, showcasing architectural brilliance.
Indulge in the popular Viennese coffee at one of the cozy coffee houses, and be captivated by a performance at the world-renowned Vienna Opera House before bidding farewell to one of Austria’s finest destinations.
- Ideal For: History, Architecture, Culture
- Palace Where To Stay: Hotel Ambassador, Vienna Marriott Hotel
- Best Restaurants: Ariston Hellenic Restaurant, Restaurant Rote Bar Best
- Time To Visit: April-May, September-October How
- To Reach: You can access Vienna via flights or land.
- Places To Visit Vienna: Hofburg Imperial Palace, St. Stephen’s Cathedral, Schönbrunn. These all are famous Austrian landmarks.
Also Read: Places To Visit In Amsterdam
2: Salzburg – A Date With Mozart
Salzburg, a must-visit destination in Austria, evokes images of a picturesque town nestled amidst rolling green meadows, adorned with grand historic buildings, and immortalized by Mozart.
As the birthplace of the genius composer and the filming location of the iconic music movie “The Sound of Music,” Salzburg ranks among the top destinations to explore in Austria during the summer months.
The charming old town of Altstadt, with its exquisite classical architecture, has earned recognition as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Meanwhile, the imposing Hohensalzburg Fortress stands proudly as the last remaining castle of its kind in Europe.
Additionally, the vibrant Salzburg Festival, featuring a rich tapestry of entertainment, music, and arts, promises an unforgettable experience for visitors during the summertime.
- Ideal for: Architecture, Art, Photography, Music
- Places To Visit: Hellbrunn Palace, Nonnberg Abbey, Salzburg Cathedral, Salzburg Castles
- Places To Stay: Radisson Blu Hotel Altstadt, Sheraton Grand Salzburg, and Salzburg villas
- Best Restaurants: Indian Restaurant Taj Mahal, The Restaurant Waterfall
- Best Time To Visit: September-October
- How To Reach: There are several direct trains between Salzburg and Salzburg.
Also Read: Places To Visit In Scotland
3: Innsbruck – The Picture-Postcard City
Innsbruck, located amidst the idyllic Alps and surrounded by towering mountains, offers an array of choices to make your stay truly memorable. It stands out as one of the unique places to visit in Austria.
A stroll through the charming old town unveils treasures like the glistening Goldenes Dachl, adorned with over 2,500 sparkling tiles, and offers a peek into the Tyrolean Folk Art Museum, renowned as one of Europe’s finest national heritage museums.
Innsbruck dubbed the “city for all seasons,” emerges as one of Austria’s most stunning winter destinations. With globally acclaimed ski resorts, it beckons winter sports enthusiasts to revel in its snowy landscapes.
Furthermore, adventure seekers are in for a treat with exhilarating activities such as ascending breathtaking meadows, bungee jumping at Europa Bridge, taking a thrilling funicular ride up the Nordkette mountain range, and experiencing the vibrant nightlife scene of Innsbruck. It’s truly one of the best places to visit in Austria during the winter months.
- Places To Stay: Hotel Grauer Bär, Hotel Central
- Best Restaurants: Himal Nepali Kitchen Restaurant, Restaurant Lichtblick
- Best Time To Visit: December-April
- How To Reach: The best way to get to Innsbruck from Vienna is by train which takes about 4-5 hours to get there.
4: Salzkammergut – Relax And Rejuvenate
Situtated near Salzburg, this scenic resort area offers the quintessential Austrian experience, boasting 76 shimmering blue lakes, stunning alpine vistas, picturesque villages, and luxurious spa towns.
Hallstatt, situated on the shores of Lake Hallstatt and designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, epitomizes the charm of Austrian tourism. Its fairy-tale-like setting, characterized by pastel-colored buildings, the Salzwelten Underground Salt Lake, and the Dachstein Mountain Ice Cave, leaves visitors awe-inspired.
Undoubtedly one of Austria’s most spectacular destinations, Hallstatt is a must-visit for travelers seeking breathtaking natural beauty and cultural richness.
Other beloved tourist attractions in the area include the spa town of Bad Ischl and the enchanting village of St. Wolfgang.
- Ideal For: Nature, History, Spas, Adventure
- Places To Visit: Mirabell Palace, Fortress Hohenzsalzburg
- Places To Stay: Mühlradl Apartments, Hotel Gasthof Weißer Bär
- Best Restaurants: Hubertuskeller Restaurant, Ledererhaus
- Best Time To Visit: September-October
- Where To Reach: There is a guided bus tour that will take you to Salzkammergut’s most interesting places.
Also Read: Places to Visit In Italy
5: Graz – Involve In Food, History and Culture
As Austria’s second-largest city boasting six universities, Graz beckons travelers with its captivating allure. Its impeccably preserved Old Town stands as one of Europe’s finest, adorned with spectacular Baroque and Renaissance-style buildings.
Adding to its charm are numerous museums and a magnificent wooded hill at the city’s center, offering panoramic views of the surroundings. Graz delights visitors with its culinary delights, including the famed pumpkin seed oil, a must-have for cooking enthusiasts.
Graz stands out as one of Austria’s most offbeat yet highly sought-after destinations. It’s a must-visit for those seeking unique experiences and cultural richness.
- Places To Visit: Eggenberg Castle, Kunsthaus, Altstadt von Graz
- Places To Stay: NH Graz City, Hotel Weitzer Graz Best Restaurants: Caylend Restaurant, Vina
- Best Time To Visit: April-September
- How To Reach: Direct trains from Vienna to Graz. Getting over here by train takes about 2 hours.
Also Read: Places to Visit in France
6: Worthersee – A Summer To Remember
Austria’s beloved summer resort offers a mix of adventure, natural beauty, and cultural heritage, making it an ideal destination for a few days’ getaway.
In the summer, the picturesque Worthersee Lake invites visitors to indulge in swimming, boating, and paddling, providing ample opportunities for outdoor fun. For those seeking excitement and adventure, a visit to the colorful Griffen Stalactite cave is a must.
Exploring the historic Cathedral of Gurk, dating back to the 12th century, offers a glimpse into Austria’s rich cultural heritage.
Additionally, a trip to Gmünd, Porsche’s hometown, completes the list of must-do activities in this charming region, renowned as one of Austria’s top destinations.
- Ideal for: Adventure, Nature
- Places To Visit: Wörthersee Lake, Casino Velden
- Places To Stay: Seepark Hotel – Congress & Spa, Hotel Sandwirth
- Best Restaurants: Maria Loretto Restaurant, See restaurant Rosé
- Best Time To Visit: April, November-December
- How To Reach: It takes about 5 hours to get from Vienna to Worthersee.
7: Bad Gastein – A Soothing Treat For Body And Soul
Make your way to Bad Gastein Spa Town for a rejuvenating soak in its natural hot spring waters and to breathe in the crisp mountain air. Situated in the scenic High Tauern Range, this charming hill town also draws winter sports enthusiasts, earning its place among Austria’s top destinations.
Bad Gastein is renowned for its elegant hotels and villas in the Belle Epoque style, offering a touch of old-world charm. The town boasts exciting hiking trails and ample outdoor activities such as biking and hiking, perfect for nature lovers.
Don’t miss the magnificent Gastein waterfall, a breathtaking sight nestled in the heart of the town. With open studios, creative seminars, jazz performances, culinary delights, and a lively nightlife scene, there’s no shortage of reasons to book your holiday in Bad Gastein right away. It’s truly one of Austria’s must-see places.
- Great for: Leisure, Culture, Skiing
- Places To Visit: Molltaler Gletscher, Stubnerkogel
- Places To Stay: Johannesbad Hotel Palace, Johannesbad Hotel St. Georg Best Restaurants: Gasteiner Wirtshaus, Ginger n’Gin
- Best Time To Visit: December-March
- How To Reach: Direct trains run every three hours a day from Salzburg to Bad Gastein.
Also Read: Cities In Spain
8: Bregenz-Tranquil Days By The Lake
Located on the eastern shores of Lake Constance, Bregenz offers breathtaking vistas of the Swiss and German Alps, making it one of Austria’s premier destinations.
Take a stroll along the scenic lake promenade or ascend Pfänder Mountain via cable car for panoramic views of Lake Constance. The mountaintop also offers opportunities for lunch and hiking amidst stunning scenery.
Be mesmerized by the opera and orchestral performances held on the floating lakeside stage during the annual Bregenz Festival (July-August).
Explore the city’s rich architectural, cultural, and artistic heritage through its museums and beautifully crafted buildings scattered throughout the city. Bregenz is truly a must-see destination in Austria.
- Ideal for: Nature, Culture
- Places To Visit: Kunsthaus Bregenz, Pfänder Mountain
- Places To Stay: Hotel Weißes Kreuz, Hotel Schwärzler
- Best Restaurants: Wirtshaus am See, Gasthaus Kornmesser
- Best Time To Visit: July-August
- How To Reach: Between Innsbruck and Bregenz there are about 20 trains a day. The journey by train takes about 2 hours and 37 minutes.
9: Wachau-Best Wines And A Dose Of History
Nestled alongside the majestic Danube River, the fertile Wachau Valley stands as one of South Austria’s premier tourist attractions.
Designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Wachau Valley boasts unparalleled cultural significance and natural beauty. It is particularly renowned among wine enthusiasts for producing some of the world’s finest white wines.
Dotted with stunning monasteries such as the Baroque Melk monastery, castles, and fortresses, the Wachau Valley offers a rich tapestry of history and architectural wonders.
With its breathtaking landscapes and rich cultural heritage, the Wachau Valley is a must-visit destination and deserves a spot on every traveler’s list of the most popular places to see in Austria.
- Ideal for: wines, architecture, historical
- Places to visit: Aggstein Castle
- Places To Stay: Hotel Klinglhuber, Gartenhotel & Weingut Pfeffel Dürnstein
- Best Restaurants: Hotel Restaurant Donauwirt, Restaurant Heinzle
- Best Time To Visit: March-June
- How To Reach: Take a train from Vienna to Melk and then a bus from here to Wachau.
10: Zell Am See – Pristine Alpine Wonders
With its international-level ski slopes, the shimmering blue waters of Zell am See Lake, and the picturesque mountains of Salzburg, Zell am See emerges as one of Austria’s most breathtaking destinations for natural beauty and relaxation. If you’re visiting Austria in March, be sure to add this gem to your itinerary.
Immerse yourself in refreshing activities in this charming mountain town, such as cycling along the serene lake or taking a dip in its mesmerizingly blue waters.
While enjoying a cup of coffee at one of the cozy cafes in the city center, soak in the stunning natural surroundings or stroll along the elevated walkway at St. Hippolyte’s Church for unparalleled scenic views. Zell am See is undeniably one of the most beautiful places to visit in Austria.
- Ideal for: Nature
- Places To Visit: Lake Zell
- Places To Stay: Superior Hotel Tirolerhof, Hotel Latini Best Restaurants: Seewirt Das Restaurant, The Burger Factory
- Best Time To Visit: June-August
- How To Reach: The Fastest Way to get here is by train from Salzburg, which takes no more than two hours.
🏩 List 11 Best Hotels With Pools in Austria
Check out the best hotel deals (up to 30% off)
- Hotel Nesslerhof
- Hotel Annelies
- Wellnessresidenz Alpenrose
- Kaiserhof Superior
- Premium Activehotel Bergkönig
- 4*S Galtenberg Resort
- Theresa Wellness-Genießer-Hotel
- Hotel Alpin Spa Tuxerhof
- TOP Hotel Hochgurgl
- Living & Spa Vitalhotel Edelweiss
- NIDUM – Casual Luxury Hotel
🙋🏻♀️ FAQs About Places To Visit In Austria
There are a lot of questions that come to our mind while planning to visit Austria, some of the commonly asked questions are answered below.
Q. What currency is used in Austria?
A. The official currency of Austria is the Euro (EUR).
Q. Do I need a visa to visit Austria?
A. Citizens of the EU, EEA, and certain other countries do not need a visa to visit Austria for short stays. Visitors from other countries may require a Schengen visa.
Q. What are some traditional Austrian dishes to try?
A. Don’t miss out on trying Wiener Schnitzel, Sachertorte, Apfelstrudel, and Kaiserschmarrn during your visit to Austria.
Q. What is the most beautiful part of Austria?
A. The Salzkammergut region, known for its breathtaking lakes and Alpine scenery, is often considered the most beautiful part of Austria.
Q. What are five popular tourist attractions in Austria?
A. Some popular tourist attractions in Austria include Schönbrunn Palace, Mirabell Palace and Gardens, Hohensalzburg Fortress, the historic city of Salzburg, and the scenic Danube Valley.
Q. Which part of Austria is best?
A. The best part of Austria depends on personal preferences. For history and culture, Vienna and Salzburg are top choices, while the Alps offer stunning natural landscapes for outdoor enthusiasts.
Q. What is visited the most in Austria?
A. Vienna, the capital city of Austria, is the most visited destination in the country, renowned for its imperial palaces, museums, and cultural attractions.
Austria, with its diverse array of attractions ranging from imperial palaces to alpine landscapes, offers something for every traveler. Whether you’re drawn to the rich history of Vienna, the musical heritage of Salzburg, or the scenic beauty of the Alps, Austria promises an unforgettable experience. So pack your bags, embark on a journey of discovery, and immerse yourself in the charm and allure of this enchanting country.
🗨️ Tell Us One Of Your Favourite Place In The Above List Of The Best Places To Visit In Austria.
Also, don’t forget to book your personalized holiday package with Fiery Trippers. Let us make your vacation a romantic and dreamy getaway.