Sunscreens For Summer: Summer is coming, and you’ll need to protect your skin while having fun at the beach, at outdoor events, and, eventually, at outdoor concerts.
We all know how important it is to use and wear sunscreen. Adding a daily dosage of SPF to your morning makeup routine is essential to your skin’s health, whether you’re going to the pool or having lunch with your girlfriends/boyfriend on the weekend.
The issue occurs while travelling—carrying a large enough bottle of sunscreen without worrying about leakage as it is a difficult task to prevent.
Most of us are unaware that we are exposed to the sun’s rays even when flying or sitting in a car for long periods of time, and that we must protect our skin from them.
The simplest method to achieve this is to purchase a travel-sized bottle of sunscreen that you can take with you everywhere you go.
Note: The FDA is proposing changes to sunscreen laws because some active components can reach the bloodstream. The FDA — and the Good Housekeeping Beauty Lab — advises Americans to continue using mineral and chemical sunscreen to protect against UV damage until a more clear conclusion on safety can be reached.
What Is The Best Sunscreen?
- Chemical sunscreens are most likely the ones you’re currently familiar with. Before damaging UV rays reach your skin, they absorb them. While these lotions and sprays are easy to apply and leave no white residue, you will need to reapply sunscreen more frequently than if you used a physical or mineral sunscreen.
- Mineral sunscreens (also known as physical sunscreens) create a protective layer on the skin that reflects or filters UVA and UVB radiation. Dispersed zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide compositions are more difficult to apply and produce a white cast on the skin, but they usually remain longer than chemical solutions.
However, no matter what you use, apply your sunscreen at least 15 minutes before going outside to allow the protective layer to build properly.
What SPF Do Dermatologists Recommend?
1. SPF 30 Or Greater
Dr David Lortscher, board-certified dermatologist and CEO of Curology, recommends SPF 30 or above.
“In our testing, consumers use around one-third the amount of sunscreen required to achieve the SPF specified on the label,” says GH Beauty Lab Director Birnur Aral, PhD, who recommends using a broad-spectrum SPF 50 to compensate.
2. Broad-Spectrum Formulas
Broad-spectrum formulations provide protection from both UVA and UVB rays. UV radiation causes dangerous sunburns (a.k.a. skin damage and maybe skin cancers), as well as a disturbance in collaged production — UV exposure is responsible for 80% of visible skin ageing.
3. Water Resistant
According to the FDA, there is no such thing as waterproof or sweatproof sunscreens. The FDA accepts two claims under current guidelines: “Water-resistant for 40 minutes” or “Water-resistant for 80 minutes.” Reapplying every two hours is a waste of time.
When swimming, sweating, or towelling off, pay attention to the water-resistance duration on the bottle and layer the product on more regularly.
Lotions and creams are preferred over sprays by our Beauty Lab experts because “they last longer on the skin than sprays [and] are more likely to establish a uniform protective covering over skin than sprays,” says Sabina Wizemann, senior chemist.
“A cream may be better for you if your skin is prone to dryness,” Lucy Chen, M.D. adds. “Sprays are easy,” she adds, “but they may require a second treatment, so spray generously.”
5. Chemical Vs. Mineral
It’s up to you whether you like chemical or mineral formulas, but make sure you choose one that you’ll use every day, 365 days a year.
Because damaging UV rays may easily penetrate windows and clouds all year, your skin can be injured even in the dead of winter through the windshield of your car, the windows at the gym, at work, and on a flight.
How To Apply Sunscreen?
1. Apply it thickly. Apply a tablespoon of sunscreen (with an SPF of at least 25) to your face and two ounces to your body. You’re probably only getting an SPF 10 out of your SPF 30 unless you apply a heavy layer.
2. Apply sunscreen directly to your face rather than squeezing a large lump over your hands. This method aids in faster and more even absorption.
3. Apply your sunscreen first, followed by your moisturiser. It’s best to start with clean, dry skin. If you apply a zinc oxide or titanium dioxide sunscreen, though, this is less of an issue.
4. Apply sunscreen on a daily basis. According to dermatologists, the majority of sun exposure is accidental and incidental, meaning you get it while walking to the subway, eating lunch, or looking out your office window.
5. Use sunscreen before going outside in the sun. To work, chemical sunscreens must be absorbed into the skin over a period of time. As a result, they require a 20-minute head start.
6. If you need rapid sun protection, use zinc oxide. Zinc and titanium dioxide are minerals that block UV rays from the sun, so they function faster than chemical sunscreen components, which must be absorbed before the light can be converted to heat energy in your skin.
7. Every 90 minutes, reapply sunscreen. Many sunscreens become unstable (that is, ineffective) when exposed to sunshine, according to a top sunscreen formulator. Isn’t it ironic? That means the items just stop working, requiring you to replace them every few of hours. Consider it similar to mouthwash.
8. Use mineral makeup to touch up your look. If you go out for lunch, your morning sunscreen treatment is already ineffective. So use a mineral-based powder with an SPF to touch up your makeup. Many sunscreens containing zinc or titanium dioxide (such as Jane Iredale) have an SPF of 18 or 20.
Best Sunscreens For Travel
Continue reading for a list of 11 sunscreens that will suit any situation you may experience while on vacation.
1. SPF 15 Moisturizing Tanning Oil By Sun Bum | Tanning Sunscreens
To attain your ultimate golden glow, spray, rub in, and then bask in the sun! Apply liberally to the entire body, avoiding the eyes. Sonny’s Tip: For maximum sun protection, combined with a normal sunscreen.
For those of us who want our skin to be nurtured, silky smooth, and protected while getting golden brown. Our SPF 15 UVA/UVB Protecting Dark Tanning Oil is ideal for getting bronzed while staying protected!
All skin types will benefit from our water-resistant and reef-friendly sun protection. With our original summer fragrance, pamper your skin with Aloe Vera, Green Tea Butter, Marula, Argan, Coconut, and Avocado Oil.
Protecting and moisturising your skin is essential for getting a sun-kissed glow. To ensure an enjoyable day in the sun, our Original Sunscreen range is hypoallergenic and free of Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, Gluten, Cruelty, and Paraben.
2. Resting Beach Face SPF30 Sunscreen Serum By Everyday Humans | Cruelty Free Sunscreens
Feels like skincare, is comfortable, and has a light serum. Face moisturising sunscreen serum with broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection in a 2-in-1 formula.
Plant-based, free of Oxybenzone and Octinoxate, as well as synthetic fragrances and colours (common allergies) and parabens. also, provide packaging that is environmentally friendly.
With moisture-binding hyaluronic acid and antioxidant-rich spinach and green tea, the skin’s natural defence systems against pollution and environmental aggressors are restored and strengthened.
For dry, normal and combo skin types, a dermatologist-tested, weightless, and fast-absorbing solution is recommended. An anti-ageing and wrinkle protection that can be worn alone or as a primer under makeup. Invisible protection that is ideal for both light and dark skin tones.
»Also Read: 11 Best Beach Towels For Travel Lovers
3. Broad Spectum SPF 50 Daily Sunscreen With Vitamin C & E, Oil-Free, 1 Fl. Oz By La Roche-Posay | Paraben Free Sunscreens
Daily 2-in-1 anti-ageing face serum with sunscreen to help reduce the risk of heat early symptoms of ageing. Cell-Ox Shield antioxidant technology is used in the composition. Sensitive skin-friendly.
UVA/UVB filters are combined with antioxidants to provide a broad range of SPF 50 and free radical protection. Apply 15 minutes before going out in the sun. After cleansing, apply to the face and neck. Use alone or in combination with a moisturiser.
»Also Read: The Essential Beach Holiday Packing List
4. Paulas Choice Sunscreen SPF 30 Matte Tinted Face Moisturizer With UVA & UVB Protection
To protect your skin from environmental and sun damage, this unique composition blends a lightly tinted moisturiser with sunscreen and nourishing antioxidants. Skin tone is smoothed out, and the texture is silky matte.
The Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30 Tinted Matte Moisturizer with Antioxidants and Resveratrol is developed to repair and restore sun-damaged skin while preventing further damage, without the white cast that conventional sunscreens leave behind.
This moisturiser with 30 SPF protection visibly minimises fine lines and wrinkles, evens out skin tone, and gives you tighter skin with everyday usage. It’s as lovely as a base for makeup or on its own.
Paula’s Choice products are made to be gentle on your skin. We have a treatment range for any skincare issue, whether it’s dryness, acne, fine lines, or sensitive skin. The search for fantastic skincare has come to an end. You’ve finally found it.
Paula’s Choice Skincare offers effective products. There are no fragrances, parabens, or fluff in this product. Only the most effective, science-backed products for anything from wrinkles to pimples.
5. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion
Jessica Krant, MD, a board-certified dermatologist at the Laser & Skin Surgery Center of NY, revealed in an interview that this under-$10 sunscreen may also double as a moisturiser. “Instead of double layering, I use it instead of moisturiser.
It’s one of my favourites since it gives me a matte finish and helps me look like I’m using a light foundation without making me look chalky or pale.
It doesn’t crumble or pill like other sunscreens, and it has never caused me to break out,” Dr Krant explained.
6. EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 for Sensitive or Acne-Prone Skin
Debra Jaliman, MD, a dermatologist in New York City, recently told Health that this lightweight, fragrance-free choice is ideal for persons with oily skin.
The product contains both hyaluronic acid and lactic acid, which moisturises while also reducing shine and clearing pores. Plus, the compact size makes it simple to pack in your carry-on for all of your summer vacations.
»Also Read: 12 Best Cool Cheap Sunglasses For Travel
7. SPF 30 Zinc Oxide Sunscreen By Badger
According to Dr Jaliman, this all-natural sunscreen is odourless, hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic (meaning it won’t clog pores), free of dangerous chemicals, and virtually entirely organic.
Also fantastic? Dr Nazarian said that it retains SPF during swimming and sweating, so you’ll always be protected, and it’s packed with hydrating vitamin E and beeswax.
8. Sun Bum Mineral SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen Face Lotion
This sunscreen’s “silky texture” was a favourite with testers. It had a “velvety” sensation to it and didn’t leave the skin shiny or oily.
The sunscreen received nearly flawless marks for generating no irritation or redness, and several testers reported that it worked well under makeup. After use, some people noticed a white cast or a little greyish tone.
- SPF 30
- Mineral zinc-oxide sunscreen lotion
- Water resistance: 40 minutes
»Also Read:7 Best Headphones For Travel
9. Sun Bum Original SPF 50 Sunscreen Spray Vegan and Reef Friendly
This tropical-scented Sun Bum mist was the clear victor in GH Beauty Lab testing, applying effortlessly and leaving no chalky residue on skin for people who prefer to spritz on their sun protection. The formula won because it didn’t leave a white residue and offered effective sunburn protection.
Two testers claimed the spray was “continuous and even” and “covered my skin rapidly.” One commented, “I would absolutely buy this.” It’s worth noting that some customers reported that it left an oily finish on their skin that took a long time to fade.
- SPF 50
- Chemical sunscreen spray
- Water resistance: 80 minutes
»Also Read: 12 Best Cool Cheap Sunglasses For Travel
10. Sunforgettable Total Protection SPF 50 Body Shield By Colorescience
This zinc oxide product goes on smoothly and produces a powdery, silky finish, according to our consumer testers. It “melted into” the skin of one of the testers.
Yes, it’s a splurge (more than three times the average price of the others we tested), but if you’re looking for a high-end mineral choice, this is it.
It was very mild on the skin, causing no irritation or stinging even when used around the eyes of the testers.
- SPF 50
- Mineral sunscreen lotion
- Water resistance: 80 minutes
»Also Read: Best Sun-Protective Clothing For Summer Travel
11. No Excuses Clear Invisible Facial Sunscreen Gel Broad Spectrum SPF 40 By Julep
Julep sunscreen is lightweight and easy to apply, leaving no white cast or oily residue behind, making it ideal for daily use for the face.
This received flawless scores in our Beauty Lab tests for not flowing into or irritating eyes and not creating breakouts. We found it to be a real universal product that worked well on all skin types, from dry to oily, and all skin tones, from light to dark.
FAQ’s About Sunscreens For Summer
Which is the best sunscreen for summer?
1. Dr. Oracle A-Thera Sunblock SPF 50.
2. Obagi Sun Shield Matte Broad Spectrum SPF 50.
3. Black Girl Sunscreen SPF 30.
4. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-In Sunscreen Milk SPF 100.
5. SPF 15 Moisturizing Tanning Oil By Sun Bum | Tanning Sunscreens
What is the best sunscreen for everyday use?
1. Tube of COOLA Mineral Sunscreen.
2. Tube of bare Republic Mineral Face Lotion.
3. Tube of Alba Botanica Sensitive Mineral Sunscreen.
4. Juice Beauty SPF Oil-Free Moisturizer.
5. Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer Physical Daily Defense.
6. Biossance Squalane Mineral Sunscreen.
Is sunscreen only for summer?
While many of you use sunscreen during the summer, the truth is that you should use it every day of the year, rain or shine. “Sun damage and skin cancer are caused by ultraviolet radiation, which are always present,” says Dr. 24th of May, 2017
What are the top 5 sunscreens?
1. Neutrogena Ultra Dry-Touch Sunscreen SPF 55.
2. ISDIN Eryfotona Actinica Ultralight Emulsion Sunscreen SPF 50+
3. ISDIN Eryfotona Ageless Tinted Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50+ Zinc Oxide 3.4 Fl.
4. La Roche Posay Anthelios Sunscreen.
5. PCA Skin Daily Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 50+
Can I skip moisturizer and use sunscreen?
Most individuals can skip applying “regular” moisturiser during the day because most sunscreens include a hydrating base; your sunscreen should provide enough moisture, so there's no need to put moisturiser underneath it. If your skin is dry, though, seek a daytime moisturiser with SPF that is specifically designed for dry skin.
Is it bad to wear sunscreen every day?
Wearing sunscreen every day, especially if you spend a lot of time outside, can help you avoid skin problems including premature ageing, sunburns, and even skin cancer. According to an article published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, skin cancer affects over 3.3 million people each year.
Does sunscreen or moisturizer go first?
As a general rule, sunscreen should always be applied last in your skincare routine. Knowing this, the solution to the question of whether to apply sunscreen or moisturiser first is simple: sunscreen should always come after moisturiser!
Should you rub sunscreen in?
When using a cream sunscreen, make sure it has at least SPF 30. To apply it to your body, put the sunscreen in your palms and press it directly over the region. Don't start by rubbing your hands together! Apply to all exposed skin, including the face, ears, back of the neck, and tips of the feet.
Should I wear sunscreen at night?
Is it safe to use at night or will it affect your skin? Yes, it's vital to protect your skin from the sun by wearing a broad-spectrum sunscreen or sunblock during the day, but you should always wash it off before going to bed and apply a night cream that's suited to your skin type and conditions.
Tell Us In Comments Your Favrioute Sunscreens For Summer?
Also, don’t forget to book your personalized holiday package with Fiery Trippers. Let us make your vacation a romantic as well as a dreamy getaway.